21 May 2022, 10 am – 4 pm
Bridge of Allan Parish Church of Scotland, 12 Keir St, Bridge of Allan, FK9 4NW
FREE ENTRY to our exhibition and sale of fair trade textiles
Bridge of Allan has always been a special World Textile Day for us. Those Scots will really travel to get their fix of textiles. This year we’ll be back with our usual entertaining and informative talks, plus – to keep the hordes happy – delicious onsite catering and refreshments. Here are some pix of previous outings there. Enjoy!
11 am : main talk
From Java to West Africa: Travelling Textiles
Presented by Diane Gaffney of Textile Traders and Magie Relph of The African Fabric Shop. Di and Magie have been travelling, collecting, buying and selling textiles since the 1980s. They really know their stuff.
£5. Tickets on the door.
2 pm : 2 short talks
Trading with India in the pandemic: how Whatsapp and websites won the day
For Andrew Haughton of the Nomad’s Tent in Edinburgh, the world-wide pandemic was a double whammy. His shop was shut by lockdown and he was shut out of India, one of his major supply countries. Find out how Andrew harnassed technology to keep trade flowing for his suppliers and his customers.
Textiles sans Frontières
John and Joan Fisher take you on an enthralling journey to the Arabian peninsula, where creating and trading textiles has shaped history. Fascinating and inspiring.
£3 for both talks. Tickets on the door.
FAIR TRADE MARKET from makers, workshops and villages around the world
- Textile Traders – handmade textiles and clothes from southeast Asia
- African Fabric Shop – textiles, beads and baskets from across Africa
- Susan Briscoe Designs – specialist in kimono and sashiko fabrics from Japan
- The Running Stitches – beautiful scarves, throws, cushions and bedspreads from India
- The Nomad’s Tent – a stunningly wonderful rugs, carpets and kilims from Turkey, Iran and Pakistan
- Khayamiya – appliquéd wallhangings from the tent makers of Cairo
- Handmade Nepal – Karen Haggis with her wonderful array of Nepalese textiles
Plus: All day refreshments from the stellar members of the local WI
This year, because attendance is unpredictable due to the pandemic, catering will be limited to coffee, tea and biscuits. You’re welcome to bring your own packed lunch and there are several cafés nearby.
View/print PDF document: World Textile Days 2022
- Bridge of Allan Parish Church of Scotland, 12 Keir St, Bridge of Allan, FK9 4NW. Tel: 01786 835155
- Link to venue: www.bridgeofallanparishchurch.org.uk
- Disabled access
- Free parking near by
- Station – Bridge of Allan
- From Edinburgh – 45 minutes
- From Glasgow – 40-60 minutes
- From Inverness – 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 10 minute walk from Bridge of Allan station to venue
- From Edinburgh via M9 – 60 minutes
- From Glasgow via M80 – 40 minutes
- From Inverness via A9 – 1 hour, 45 minutes