19 September 2020, 10 am – 4.30 pm
Brockenhurst Hall, Highwood Rd, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7RY
Our 2020 theme: Crossing Borders – with special guest speakers Diane Gaffney and Magie Relph
This is a brand new venue for us and we’re really looking forward to bringing World Textile Day to the New Forest!
Brockenhurst Hall is already a popular destination for textile enthusiasts – witness the ever-popular Brockenhurst Needlework Fiesta.
The highlight of World Textile Day South will be a presentation by Diane Gaffney and Magie Relph. They’ve both been tramping around Asia and Africa respectively for over 30 years researching and collecting textiles. For this new talk, Diane and Magie will take you on a journey from Java to West Africa tracing the connections between traditional batik and African wax print. Enlightening and fun. Plus, you might even spot a Javanese or African batik that you just can’t live without!
Don’t miss World Textile Day South in Brockenhurst. It’s great venue in a great area of the country. To get you in the mood, here are some pix from previous World Textile Days in the south of England.
What you’ll find at World Textile Day South 2020
FREE admission to our exhibition of woven, printed and embroidered textiles.
FAIR TRADE MARKET from makers, workshops and villages around the world
- 11 am PRESENTATION. From Java to West Africa: A journey from batik to wax print with Diane Gaffney and Magie Relph – textile collectors and traders.
- 2 pm SHORT TALK. Textile Animal Trappings of India and Central Asia by textile collector Gaynor Williams. Plus – for a bit of fun – TEXTILE WEAR & TELL. You’re invited to wear and discuss your own world textile garment.
- £3 per session or £5 for both, tickets at the door.
- Our specialist world textiles traders.
- Delicious refreshments served all day long.
- Disabled access.
- Free parking.
View/print PDF document: World Textile Day South 2020
- Brockenhurst Hall, Highwood Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7RY. Tel: 01590 622580
- Link to venue: http://brockenhurstvillage.org.uk
- Station – Brockenhurst
- From Southampton – 20 minutes
- From Portsmouth – 80 minutes
- From Bournemouth – 20 minutes
- From Salisbury – 80 minutes
- From Southampton – 30 minutes
- From Portsmouth – 60 minutes
- From Bournemouth – 40 minutes
- From Salisbury – 60 minutes
- Link: Brockenhurst Hall